How Your Chiropractor Might Be Able to Help
If you find yourself regularly reaching for pain medication to relieve headaches, you might be looking for alternative ways to treat your headaches or to prevent them from happening in the first place.
There are a few things you can address immediately to see if they help you reduce the suffering associated with chronic headaches including:
- Moving and stretching after each 30-60 minutes seated at a desk or computer.
- Getting regular physical activity. Exercise can help with headache relief.
- Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is a common cause of headaches, especially during the summer.
- Regularly checking your posture–poor posture can also be a leading cause of the neck and shoulder tension that lead to headaches.
- Try to eliminate processed sugar from your diet. Too much sugar in your diet can cause chronic headaches.
If you’ve tried all of these ideas and are still suffering, it might be time to consider chiropractic care. If you’ve never visited a chiropractor, you might not know what their techniques consist of to help patients with their headache pain. A chiropractor will use a range of strategies to relax your muscles and make adjustments to your spine.
Treating your headaches with chiropractic care offers more long-term relief and prevention than only taking pain medication when you’re experiencing symptoms. A chiropractor can help prevent the cause of your headaches by focusing on trigger points and manipulating your spine back into line. If you are taking painkillers regularly because of chronic headaches, seeing a chiropractor could help you avoid the potential kidney and liver damage that can result from the consistent use of painkillers.
Chiropractic care has been shown to be effective in treating many types of headaches, but there are some that respond especially well, including:
- Sinus Headaches: Sinus headaches cause pressure and pain in the face, forehead, and cheeks, and can also include a runny nose, fatigue, and fever. They are caused by inflammation in the sinus cavities, from allergies, colds, or other respiratory infections. Chiropractic care can improve sinus drainage and reduce inflammation, which helps alleviate sinus headaches. Chiropractors may also use techniques such as soft tissue therapy and cranial adjustments to help relieve pressure in the sinus cavities and improve overall sinus health.
- Tension Headaches: Tension headaches–the most common type of headache–are characterized by a dull, aching pain that feels like a tight band around the head. They are typically caused by muscle tension in the neck, scalp, and jaw, and can be triggered by stress, poor posture, and overuse of technology. A chiropractor can help alleviate tension headaches by releasing muscle tension, improving posture, and reducing stress levels. Regular chiropractic adjustments can also help prevent future tension headaches by keeping the neck and spine in proper alignment.
- Migraines: Migraines are severe headaches that often present with visual disturbances, nausea, and light sensitivity as well as headache pain. While we’re not completely sure what causes migraines, changes in brain chemistry and blood flow are thought to be contributing factors. Migraines can be triggered by stress, hormonal fluctuations, and some foods. Chiropractic care reduces stress, improves circulation, and corrects spinal misalignments–all factors that may be contributing to the headache. Chiropractors can also help prevent future migraines by using trigger point therapy and other techniques to relieve muscle tension in the neck and head,
- Cervicogenic Headaches: Cervicogenic headaches are headaches caused by neck pain. Spinal misalignments in the neck often lead to these types of headaches. Injury, poor posture and degenerative changes in the spine are all potential triggers. Chiropractic care can help alleviate cervicogenic headaches by correcting spinal misalignments, reducing neck pain, and improving posture. Regular chiropractic adjustments can also help prevent future cervicogenic headaches by maintaining proper spinal alignment and preventing further degeneration.
If you are suffering from frequent headaches, a chiropractor can help assess the root cause of your headache and develop a customized care plan to help you find relief.
We at South Orange Chiropractic are here to help you take the next step to a headache-free life. By addressing the underlying issues, chiropractic care can help prevent future headaches and improve your overall quality of life. Book an appointment to see how we can help you today.