New Study Reports Major Lower Back Pain Relief with Orthotics plus Chiropractic Care
A study recently published in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation has shown that patients with lower back pain lasting longer than three months experienced significant pain relief through the use of custom-made orthotics and various chiropractic therapies.
- The study followed 225 adults who had lower back pain symptoms for three months or longer. Participants volunteered for the study and were randomly divided into three treatment groups.
- The first treatment group was given custom-made shoe orthotics provided by Foot Levelers. The second group also received the shoe orthotics as well as various chiropractic therapies such as regular adjustments, hot and cold packs, and manual soft tissue massages. The third group received no treatment as a control group.
- After six weeks, the first group reported 34.5% improvement in lower back pain and 18.9% improvement in function. The second group which had shoe orthotics as well as chiropractic care related 40.4% reduction in lower back pain and 32.3% improvement in function.
- While all three groups reported reduced average back pain after six weeks, only the first two groups described improved function.
- After six weeks, the control group was also given custom-made shoe orthotics. As a result, when participants in each group were evaluated again after twelve weeks, there was no major differences between their pain and function improvement reports.
A Painful Domino Effect
In an interview with Podiatry Today, New York podiatrist George Tratchenburg said that he “believes the majority of lower back pain not caused direct injury or congenital problems results from abnormal gait.” Abnormalities in gait and irregular shifts in body weight often create a domino effect, altering the body’s posture and gait, which can result in spine and pelvic misalignments. Shoe orthotics help realign how feet interact with the ground, evenly distributing body weight with each step and stabilizing the spine.
Orthotics at South Orange Chiropractic Center
However, it’s important to choose the right orthotic for your needs. At South Orange Chiropractic Center, our chiropractors recommend Foot Levelers, a specific brand of orthotics. They can provide relief for patients with lower back, hip, or knee pain. Dr. Steven Levine describes Foot Levelers as soft orthotics that have the correction built in, but are also able to move with the foot. “A lot of the old traditional orthotics are hard plastic and over stabilize the foot, and when the foot becomes over stabilized, it puts too much motion in the knee or the hip,” Dr. Levine says. “[Foot Levelers] almost feels like it’s part of the shoe as opposed to a separate insert, so the comfort level is high.”
During an appointment at South Orange Chiropractic Center, our chiropractors use a state-of-the-art foot scanner to take pictures of your feet and quickly diagnose whether or not you may need orthotics to supplement your regular chiropractic care. If there is a critical need for more cushioning or support, we can also take a mold of your feet, send it to Foot Levelers, and provide you with custom shoe orthotics. If you think you may need orthotics or would be interested in having your feet scanned, please call us today at (973) 761-0022 or schedule an appointment online! We’re here to help you get back to life as it should be.