(NAPSI) – Dust and dirt have taken over many American homes during the past few months.
Cleaning is key to help combat seasonal allergies. Since rodents are known to aggravate allergies and asthma, don’t forget to check for signs that rats and mice have invaded your home. An estimated 21 million homes are invaded by rodents each year-and in that one year, a single pair of mice can produce more than 15,000 descendents.
Rodents need food, water and shelter in order to survive. Follow these Top 5 Tips by home improvement expert, Mr. Fix-It, Lou Manfredini to help keep your home rodent free:
1. Give your home a good sweep – Clean your house from basement to attic, making sure you tackle those tiny corners and hard-to-reach spaces. Always wash dishes and wipe down counters immediately after use.
2. Clean up with bleach – Bleach is a great antiseptic that can kill the bacteria that rodents may have left behind. Mix one part bleach to 10 parts water and wipe down your kitchen counters, cabinets and drawers.
3. No food, no water, no problem – Keep all food and garbage in containers with tight-fitting lids. Never leave your pet’s food and water out overnight.
4. Seal up spaces – Mice can squeeze through spaces as small as a dime and rats through spaces the size of a quarter. Seal up all potential entrances with sheet metal, steel wool or cement, paying close attention to spaces around pipes, ducts and vents.
5. Use rodenticides – Be proactive and regularly use baits and traps that are safe when used in accordance with label directions, such as products by d-CON® Rodenticides.
For more information on how to eliminate a rodent infestation and for a free brochure, call 800-395-3266.