Move Over Green Tea – There’s a New Super Drink in Town.
“For black tea lovers, there may be a new reason to keep drinking it,” says Dr. Zhaoping Li, the director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition. Eighty percent of the tea consumed in the United States is black tea even though previous studies have usually hyped the healing and wellness properties of green tea instead.
Luckily for Americans, UCLA researchers have now demonstrated that black tea can promote healthy weight loss and other health benefits due to the way it reacts with bacteria in the gut. While the numerous health and weight loss advantages of green tea have been known for a while, this is the first time that black tea has been shown to change energy metabolism.
It’s All about the Polyphenols
Both green and black teas contain chemicals called polyphenols. Polyphenols have high antioxidant properties and also function as prebiotics, increasing the ratio of good bacteria in gut, which can promote good health and aid in weight management. The green tea polyphenols are small enough that they are absorbed into the blood and tissue throughout the body, which explains the seemingly infinite health benefits of the drink.
The black tea polyphenols are larger though, and remain in the small intestine. However, by remaining in the small intestine the black tea polyphenols promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria that also promotes healthy weight loss.
There’s Always Time for Tea
With all the research and case studies in the world, there seems to be no downside to tea. Drinking tea throughout the day promotes hydration and offers a more flavorful, zero-calorie alternative to water when there are no additives. Different types of teas typically contain fifty percent less caffeine than coffee, allowing for increased mental alertness without the shock to your nervous system. Furthermore, most teas are chock full of flavonoids, antioxidants which fight against free radicals that increase your risk for heart disease, cancer, and high cholesterol.
The Health Benefits of Your Favorite Teas
- Promotes weight loss
- Inhibits cancerous growths
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Reduces risk of strokes and neurological disorders
- Prevents cavities and doesn’t erode tooth enamel
- Promotes weight loss
- Encourages mental alertness and focus
- Protects lungs from adverse effects of cigarette smoke
- Lowers risk of stroke
- Reduces levels of bad cholesterol
- Improves mental alertness
- Boosts immune system
- Can treat skin allergies such as eczema
- Contains potent anticancer properties
- Maintains healthy and youthful skin
- Improves oral health
- Provides relief for diabetic symptoms
- Chamomile promotes restful sleep
- Echinacea can be helpful in treating the common cold
- Hibiscus aids in lowering blood pressure
- Rooibos, or red tea, contains cancer-fighting flavonoids